A new small business grant – the RI Rebounds Technical Assistance Program – is available for RI businesses that may have been affected by the COVID19 pandemic. Here’s what you need to know before applying for this grant!
If you’re a small business, you can apply to receive a grant of up to $10,000. You can apply this grant on a list of approved services that center around technical assistance, as the grant name implies. Here is the full list of services:
- Accounting & Bookkeeping
- Legal Advice & Services
- Marketing, Communications, Branding & Public Relations
- Customer Data & User Experience Analytics
- Strategic & Business Planning
- Human Resources & Payroll Services
- Information & Computer Technology (IT)
- Website Development Support
- Business Funding Pitch & Grant Writing
- Supply Chain & Procurement
If your business offers assistance in these services, you can apply to be an approved vendor for the grant. J&R Marketing is an approved vendor. You’ll be matched with small business that has received the grant and needs assistance in these areas.
The deadline to apply for the grant is August 15th, 2023.
You can apply to receive the grant here.
What are the requirements to receive this grant?
To be eligible for this grant, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- I am the owner or authorized agent of the small business in Rhode Island applying for this program.
- My business has been negatively impacted by the COVID-19 Pandemic. Negative impact is defined in the FAQ.
- My business, or 501(c)(3) nonprofit, was established to do business in Rhode Island prior to October, 2021.
- My business has gross receipts or sales of less than $2 million in 2020 or 2021, excluding any COVID-related financial assistance.
- My business has not been permanently closed. Small businesses that were seasonally closed are eligible.
- My business is not owned by a nationally or regionally owned franchise.
- I am not an employee of SkillsRI, and/or my business does have a conflict of interest with SkillsRI or RI Commerce.
- My business and/or I have not been convicted of bribery or attempting to bribe a public official or employee of SkillsRI, RI Commerce, or the State of Rhode Island.
- My business and/or I are not engaged in any illegal activity under Federal, State, or Local law.
- My business and/or I have never defaulted on an award from SkillsRI, RI Commerce, or the State of Rhode Island.
- My business and/or I have not been convicted of bribery or attempting to bribe a public official or employee of RI Commerce or the State of Rhode Island.
- My business and/or I are debarred, suspended, or proposed for debarment by any agency or instrumentality of the federal or state government.
- My business has not filed (in the past 7 years), and I am not considering filing for federal bankruptcy or state receivership.
- My business is not a government-owned entity, or a K-12 school district.
- I am not a state-level elected official subject to R.I. Gen. Laws § 36-14-5.
- My business is not solely formed for lobbying or political organizing.
- My business and/or I am not involved in any lawsuits, litigation, claims, investigations, or proceedings of any kind pending, threatened, or to my knowledge asserted against me that could materially and/or adversely impact my participation in the RI Rebounds Technical Assistance Program.
What is the process for receiving this grant?
Small businesses that are approved for this grant will be able to bolster their business through a wide variety of services from approved vendors. After filling out the application, you’ll likely know if you’re approved in 7-10 days. Once approved, you’ll meet with the people at Rhode Island Commerce and they’ll ask questions about your business to help match you with the proper approved vendors (like J&R Marketing). The vendor you’re matched with will provide a scope of work to both your business and Rhode Island Commerce. Rhode Island Commerce will approve the scope of work and pay the vendor directly – even though you received the grant, the money does not go to your business directly.
Pro Tip! Even if you aren’t sure if your business qualifies for the grant, apply anyway. Rhode Island Commerce offers a ton of grants available to all kinds of businesses, so they may suggest another grant to match your specific needs.
You can also request to be matched with J&R, though they can’t guarantee it!